Re: SSL Squirrelmail through Reverse Proxy (Pound)

On 6/28/07, Daniel W <d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> > On 6/28/07, Daniel Watts <d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Dear List,
> >>
> >> Has anyone got a setup where you have a Pound front end reverse-proxy
> >> listening for HTTPS traffic, and redirecting via HTTP to a batch of
> >> backend web servers that squirrelmail is installed on?
> >>
> >> I have this working nicely except that the links and redirects are all
> >> then written as "http" rather than "https". Is there any sane way I can
> >> get the system so that security is maintained?
> >
> > If SM has no information about SSL a connection, you simply cannot
> > expect it to do anything but what it is doing.
> >
> >> I'm thinking this might be to do with the "get_location" function in
> >> squirrelmail - will I need to modify this somehow?
> >
> > Most people do that.
>
> Really? How do they rework it?

Most people (I hope) use $config_location_base

You might be able to use it too if there is some header you can look
at.  In the config.php file, you could try something like:

$config_location_base = (!empty($_SERVER['WHATEVER']) &&
$_SERVER['WHATEVER'] == 'HTTPS' ? 'https://example.org/webmail' : '');

> >> The trouble is user's can connect either via HTTP or HTTPS and I don't
> >> want just a blanket change of all links to HTTPS.
> >
> > Why not?  Minimal overhead, better email security.
>
> Ah I suppose the get_location could be done to always response with the
> HTTPS protocol.
>

> >> Perhaps I need to get Pound to insert an X-SSL-Request header which can
> >> tell get_location whether to prepend http:// or https://
> >
> > Might be a good solution.
> >
> >> But this all sounds quite ugly and I'd rather not change squirrelmail code.
> >
> > The only other option would be to install the mind_reader plugin that
> > knows that despite the fact that page requests come in HTTP, you
> > really wanted links in HTTPS, but only in some cases.  No sweat.  :-)
>
> Lol very funny =)
>
> I thought there might be some other configuration in terms of how my
> proxies / apache's work etc. It can't be that rare a task that someone
> hasn't come up with a way to make this work nicely.

Dunno

> I noticed that things would be a lot nicer if the header("Location..")'s
> where all relative. That way whatever the connection was, the browser
> would maintain the type and just change the URI.
>
> I read somewhere that header redirects should always be absolute but
> relative ones do seem to always work. Don't suppose squirrelmail would
> consider going all relative? ;o)

It's a HTTP requirement, so SM is unlikely to change at all in that regard.