Re: Empty Folders

>>Please show your SquirrelMail configuration.
>>- Default folder prefix
>>- IMAP server type
>>
>>Enable info plugin and show output of test 7 and 8.
>>
>>Recheck your setup. I suspect that RedHat AS 4.0 does not include UW imap
>> server.
>>
>>Where are users' home directories? In /mail/users/<username>/ ?
>
> Default folder prefix I have set as "none".
> IMAP server type is UW
>
> Sorry about that.. I should have mentioned SM was installed on my web
> server which is Red Hat/Apache.  My mail server is Solaris 9/Exim/UW
>
> Users home directories are scattered all over the place, they could be on
> any of the 100 Unix systems on my network.  We use AMD and NFS to access
> them.  We have our mail server setup so all INBOX mail is stored on the
> mail server on a filesystem /var/mail/<username> and all IMAP mail folders
> are also stored on the mail server on a file system called
> /mail/users/<username>/
>
> TEST_7Request:
> A003 LSUB "" "*%"
> Response:
> * LSUB () "/" mtl-spam-filter
> * LSUB () "/" /mail/folders/mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter

If ~mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter and /mail/folders/mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter is
same file, you have same mailbox subscribed twice. When SquirrelMail
generates mailbox tree in left frame, it uses data provided by LSUB
response. That's why you have two mailboxes with same name in mailbox
tree. If files are the same, make backup of your ~mhobbs/.mailboxlist file
and remove all /mail/folders/mhobbs/ subscriptions from it. If files are
not the same, the one in /mail/folders/mhobbs/ holds real information and
file in ~mhobbs/ directory is empty or stores only special UW information.

SquirrelMail blocks access to '/mail/folders/mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter',
because it starts with '/'. Access to such mailbox will cause "Invalid
mailbox name: /mail/folders/mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter" notice. It is security
feature added to SquirrelMail in order to protect from unsafe mailbox
handling in UW. If user can access /mail/folders/mhobbs/mtl-spam-filter
mailbox, he or she can access /etc/passwd mailbox.

You can modify SquirrelMail scripts to allow access to such mailbox, but
don't ask SquirrelMail developers to allow it in standard scripts. If such
mailboxes are not blocked, users can read all server files.

All safety checks against unsafe UW mailboxes are in
functions/imap_mailbox.php file, sqimap_mailbox_select() function. Look
for 'Invalid mailbox name' string.

Replace
---
if (strstr($mailbox, '../') || substr($mailbox, 0, 1) == '/') {
---
with
---
if (false) {
---

or remove entire if() block from line 226 to 232.

I suspect that if you use Dovecot instead of UW, you can set mail location
to '/mail/folders/%u' and users can access mailbox files without full path
to mailbox.

> TEST_8Request:
> A003 LIST "*" "*"
> Response:
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX

Could you make sure that SquirrelMail configuration has delimiter set to
'/' and not to 'detect'. If SquirrelMail $optional_delimiter is set to
'detect', SquirrelMail might use INBOX response to detect delimiter.

Are you sure that you are using standard unmodified
functions/imap_mailbox.php file? INBOX is not subscribed, but SquirrelMail
should add it anyway. Could you modify test 8 to 'LIST "" "INBOX"' without
single quotes and show result of this IMAP command?

--
Tomas