New Sqml Install - Receiving 'many' Delivery Failures

Hello,

I have just installed a new version of Squirrelmail separate to that
installed by default by my webhost (HostGator), and it seems as though there
is a setting that has not nbeen set regarding the handling of delivery
failure notices.

I have an auto-responder set on my e-mail address.  With the default
(HostGator's) installation, I do not receive delivery failure notices for
auto-responder messages sent in response to spam messages (which usually
come from spoofed and therefore non-existent messages).  I only receive
delivery failure messages for messages which I deliberately sent myself.

However, with the new installation, my inbox is cluttered with Mail Delivery
Failures for every message my auto-responder has replied to (mostly spam)
and that have not reached their destination.  Note that the spam messages
themselves are deleted before arriving into the inbox.

How is this done so that only deliberate mis-sends are reported rather than
all of them? Is there a setting or filter for this? The problem does not
arise with the default install, only with the new one which implies
something to do with the Squirrelmail setup.    Is there a filter or
something, and if so how would I configure this?

If it's any help:
HostGator use the Courier IMAP Server
The configuration script indicates that all is well apart from recommending
that I disable some PHP modules, which I don't want to do in case it breaks
something else.
I have SpamCop plugin enabled, could this be the problem?  It is not enabled
with the default install.

I would appreciate any assistance on this.

Thanks,

Hussein.

Hussein Patwa
Tel: 0870 803 2824