Re: Identical Squirrelmail installs, non-identical speed

On 17-May-2007, at 23:27, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>> Is there something I am missing?
>
> $allow_thread_sort and $allow_server_sort settings in SquirrelMail
> config

Difference one:

11. Allow server-side sorting   : false

(is set to true on the fast server and is now true on both setups,
but the localhost is still much slower).

> sort setting in user preferences.
>
> If IMAP servers are on different machines, name of IMAP server. If
> it is courier, are fam or gamin services enabled.

They are on different machines, the 'fast' one used the FQDN of the
server, the 'slow' one used localhost. Not sure what fam and gamin
refer to, so a tentative 'no'?

> List of enabled plugins

Identical on both servers:
     1. abook_take
     2. administrator
     3. bug_report
     4. calendar
     5. delete_move_next
     6. filters
     7. fortune
     8. info
     9. listcommands
     10. mail_fetch
     11. message_details
     12. newmail
     13. sent_subfolders
     14. spamcop
     15. squirrelspell
     16. translate

> filters used by end user

None.

> used session handler

???

> any setup difference which makes connection or file access or
> session operations
> remote on slow machine and local on fast machine.

But the behavior is opposite.  Fast on remote and slow on localhost;
that is what is so puzzling.

The only real difference I can find is that the 'fast' server is
accessed via a root level url (http://sm.covisp.net/) instead of a
subdirectory (http://akane.covisp.net/ssm/) but I can't think why
this would make such a difference in speed.

Is there anything in the php.ini that could be a problem?  I looked
through them and really didn't spot anything.  The 'fast' server has
the memory_limit se to 8M and the 'slow' one has it set to 16M,
that's about it. Changing both to 16M did not help the speed
(although changing the 'slow' one to 8M caused it to error out).

In the configtest.php the fast server reports "mbstring - Mbstring
functions are unavailable. Japanese translation won't work." and
otherwise the configtests are identical

Also, just to be clear, the difference in speed is DEFINITELY related
to the number of messages in some way.  Logging into an account with
a dozen messages in the Inbox does not incur a delay on either server.

--
One by one the bulbs burned out, like long lives come to their
expected ends.