Identical Squirrelmail installs, non-identical speed

I have two installs of Squirrelmail 1.4.10 (current as of yesterday)
on two servers.

One is running on the same server as postfix (FreeBSD 6.2) and the
other is running on a second machine taht basically does nothing but
primary DNS and a few websites.  The load on the mailserver is about
0.10 to 0.00 (current:  4:37PM  up 59 days,  2:17, 1 user, load
averages: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00) and the load on the primary DNS is
basically 0.00 ( 4:37PM  up 13 days,  6:13, 1 user, load averages:
0.00, 0.00, 0.00).

Yes, these machines are lightly used.

The configuration for both SM installs is identical, and they both
connect to the mailserver via a secure connection to port 993.

The only difference in their configuration is that the one running on
the mailserver has the SMTP settings set to localhost:25 instead of
the name of the mailserver.

Now, if I login to SM on the mailserver to an account that has 2500
messages in the inbox, it takes 45-65 seconds from when I hit return
before the inbox is displayed.  If I login to the SM on the primary
DNS, it takes 5-15 seconds. And on the slow server, anytime I go back
to the inbox, the delay is 45-65 seconds, not just on initial login.

The only other difference is that the SM install on the primary
mailserver has a subdomain assigned to it <http://sm.covisp.net>, and
the one on the mailserver is in a subdirectory <http://
akane.covisp.net/ssm/>

I've looked at the configuration of the account and don't see any
obvious differences, but have not actually duplicated the user's
configuration file, so I can't swear they are identical.

If the behavior was reversed, it would be more understandable, but as
it is the SM install with the slow speed is the one that is on
localhost to postfix.

Is there something I am missing?

--
Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains.