vacation_local not sending auto-reply

Hi,

Here is my setup:

php-5.1.6-3.5.fc6
vacation-1.2.6.1-3
httpd-2.2.4-1.fc6
squirrelmail-1.4.8-4.fc6
Fedora Core 6 i386 running 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6 kernel
vacation_local-2.0-1.4 donwloaded from squirrelmail site
vsftpd-2.0-58 running and accepting connections locally

I have followed the instructions in README and INSTALL and, accordingly, I
have:
Copied over config.php.sample to config.php.
Set up the (hopefully) correct options in config.php.  I use the ftp backend.
Copied over vacation_local directory to /usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins
and then turned it on by adding it to active plugins in conf.pl. Restarted
httpd several times since then.

Under options --> vacation message, I can enter a vacation message.  When
I check off 'Send auto-reply to sender?' and click on submit, it says
setting saved but nothing takes effect.  If I send an email to the account
(from another account), I do not get a reply with the vacation message.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this ?

Regards,
Arjun