Re: What is the best apache/php configuration if you only need squirrelmail?

>> 3) IMAP server
>
>> * maildir or some alternative indexed mailbox format. Use of standard
>> unix mailbox format is not recommended.
>
> But mbox format still works flawlessly, no noticable speed issues even
> with mbox's containing thousands of messages (albeit mailing list messages
> where the largest single msg no doubt is under 100K)

In order to read the mailbox IMAP server must load whole file. Mailbox can
contain binary files. Photos, funny videos, etc. Situation is even worse
when messages are deleted, moved or purged. For example manager's mailbox
with 3-5 thousand messages can be bigger than 2 GB. Several months ago I
had to convert several mailboxes from Kmail (maildir) to Evolution. One of
them hit 2GB limit. I had to educate users that they must clean and manage
their mailbox. In some cases mailbox starts hitting file system limits.
Outlook Express and Mozilla store their mails in one file. It is not mbox
format, but mail folder is stored in one file. Both programs have issues
when box size is close to 2 GB. Even on NTFS. I would like to convert some
users from outlook express to outlook, but storage of all data in one .pst
file stops me from that.

See http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html
----
. unix
This is the traditional UNIX mailbox format, in use for nearly 30 years.
It uses a line starting with "From " to indicate start of message, and
stores the message status inside theRFC822 message header.

unix is not particularly efficient; the entire mailbox file must be read
when the mailbox is open, and when reading message texts it is necessary
to convert the newline convention to Internet standard CR LF form.  unix
preserves UIDs, and allows the creation of keywords.

Only one process may have a unix-format mailbox open read/write at a time.
----

See also http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/

mbox format is well known and tested, but it is not designed to handle big
mailboxes.

--
Tomas