Re: What is the best apache/php configuration if you only need squirrelmail?

>> To reduce resources consumed and the risks of vulnerabilities, make
>> sure that you disable as many modules as possible.  In debian's
>> apache2, you can see which modules are enabled by looking in
>> /etc/apache2/mods-enabled. You can enable and disable modules with
>> a2enmod and a2dismod, respectively.
>
> must this be done at every boot, or is this for playing with modules
> without restarting the whole server? Can't modules be turned off for
> good in the configuration file?
>
>> Consider also how many php library extensions you have available and
>> enabled in your php.ini (or followon configs).
>
> I understand the suggestion, thanks. Lazyness, er, awe for
> Squirrelmail gurus, still prompts me to ask if there is a ready list
> of all and only the extensions actually needed by squirrelmail and
> where. The paragraph
> http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin.html#toc1.1 doesn't go into
> so much detail...

SquirrelMail needs:
1) apache
* mod_dir (DirectoryIndex directive)
* mod_so (needed by mod_php)
* mod_ssl extension (optional, security between browser and webserver)
* prefork MPM (php recommends use of prefork MPM)

or other webserver supported by PHP. Remember Apache and IIS market share.
Developers might be unable to test other servers or some specific PHP
setups.

2) PHP (4.1.x or newer, some setups require 4.3+ or 5.1+)
* session (required)
* pcre (required)
* gettext (optional, required for better performance)
* mbstring (optional, required for internationalization. Some translations
will break, if it is not present)
* openssl (optional, used to secure connections between webserver and
imap/smtp/pop servers)
* mhash (optional, used in cram-md5 and digest-md5 authentication schemas,
squirrelmail has internal alternatives)
* xml (required if digest-md5 authentication schema is used)
* mcrypt (optional, used in squirrelspell plugin. plugin works fine
without it)
* ldap (optional, used in LDAP address books)
* pspell (optional, can be used in squirrelmail 1.5.2+)
* pear and database extensions (optional, used if preferences or address
books are stored in database)
* recode (optional, recommended in extra decoding library)
* iconv (optional, recommended in extra decoding library. If you use extra
decoding library, I recommend recode extension. iconv decoding is
unstable)
* other extensions depend on used plugins.

other php requirements/recommendations.
* Don't use --enable-sigchild. Breaks program execution status codes.
* Don't enable mbstring.func_override. Breaks Japanese translation and
makes string functions unreliable.
* magic_quotes_sybase=on is not recommended. Some scripts might ignore
possible addslashes/stripslashes behavior changes.
* register_globals=on is dangerous. SquirrelMail 1.4.7+ security features
impose very strict coding rules in such setups. If scripts are not coded
correctly, they will break.
* unpatched PHP 4.4.1 will break things

php security libraries (mod_security, suhosin or others) should not break
things, if you don't enable security features on src/compose.php and
personal information pages.

3) IMAP server
* server must follow IMAP4rev1 rfcs. 2060 or 3501.
* SORT extension
* maildir or some alternative indexed mailbox format. Use of standard unix
mailbox format is not recommended.

4) SMTP server
* rfc821
* some features use ESMTP and other extensions.

--
Tomas