Re: Emoticons but not HTML

On 3/11/07, Gregor Wenkelewsky <w-sky@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> without having to allow and use HTML mails here, I'd like to add simple
> emoticon and style support to SquirrelMail.
> Text-based emoticons like :-) :) ;) :P shall be displayed in message
> view as graphical emoticons, and style tags /italic/, *bold* and _underline_
> may be used too. But for display only, mail editing shall be true
> text-only based!
>
> Is it possible to get this? Maybe with HTML plugin without enabling
> HTML editing functions? Though I've read that HTML plugin and
> foreign charsets (esp. German umlauts) don't get along.

No, this would be a bit of a project.  To show emoticons when READING
a message, you would have to look at the view_as_html plugin and try
to implement some rudimentary text parsing in your plugin.  If you are
only looking to replace :) and similar, it might not be too hard --
just a str_replace().  When composing, you can look at one of the many
plugins that shows a popup window after clicking a button to see how
to do that, then create a list of pretty emoticons, each of which
places the text equivalent back into the body.  Not rocket science,
but this would all have to be created as a new plugin - there is
nothing that can merely be tweaked to do it as is.