Emoticons but not HTML

Hi there,

without having to allow and use HTML mails here, I'd like to add simple
emoticon and style support to SquirrelMail.
Text-based emoticons like :-) :) ;) :P shall be displayed in message
view as graphical emoticons, and style tags /italic/, *bold* and _underline_
may be used too. But for display only, mail editing shall be true
text-only based!

Is it possible to get this? Maybe with HTML plugin without enabling
HTML editing functions? Though I've read that HTML plugin and
foreign charsets (esp. German umlauts) don't get along.

Then it would be nice to have a list of all emoticons that SM will
decode for message editing (maybe in a popup window), with click-to-
paste text emoticon function.

Thanks for any advice.

Gregor