Re: RSS integration

> I am running SquirrelMail on a SuSE box together with Courier-IMAP.
> Everything is working fine.
>
> Now I got the idea to integrate RSS feeds with SquirrelMail.
>
> I do not seem to find any usefull information with regards to this
> situation. No Plugins and something like rss2imap doesn't seem fit.
>
> Anyone has this up and running or has some suggestions or links?

What are you trying to achive:
* to make an RSS plugin which acts as an aggregator on its own,
* to make an RSS plugin which acts as an interface towards a server side
aggregator, or
* to give information about your inbox as an RSS feed?

The latter one isn't suitable to do with SquirrelMail at all, but the two
former might be possible. I've seen mails about developing such a plugin,
but I don't recall seeing a complete plugin that can handle it.

A plugin which acts as an aggregator on its own it probably not a good
idea, since it would only work when you're logged in using SquirrelMail,
i.e. you might miss many articles if you're not logged in all the time or
at least frequently.

A plugin which acts as an interface towards a server side aggregator is
most likely the best way to go. I have been thinking about adapting Feed
on Feeds to be used as such a plugin, but I havn't done real effort so
far. Feed on Feeds is coded in PHP, and if you set a cron job up, you can
use it as a server side aggregator. (If you don't have a cron job it can
still act as an aggregator on its own, i.e. when you're logged in.) The
big problem is that Feed on Feeds isn't intended for more than one user,
and doesn't support the kind of authentication used in SquirrelMail.
Still, it might be a starting point.
http://feedonfeeds.com/

Sincerely,
Fredrik