Re: RSS integration

All,

>> Now I got the idea to integrate RSS feeds with SquirrelMail.
>>
>> Anyone has this up and running or has some suggestions or links?
>
> What are you trying to achive:
> * to make an RSS plugin which acts as an aggregator on its own,

I thought something like this may exist.

> * to make an RSS plugin which acts as an interface towards a server side
> aggregator, or

This was indeed the plan

> * to give information about your inbox as an RSS feed?

No, definately not

> A plugin which acts as an aggregator on its own it probably not a good
> idea, since it would only work when you're logged in using SquirrelMail,
> i.e. you might miss many articles if you're not logged in all the time or
> at least frequently.

Correct, so this brought me to the idea of somehow getting the feeds in a
database and then writing a plugin to handle it. Using cron to fetch them.

Started working on that by defining what i would like to have: centrally
kept storage of only the articles i am interested in and receiving new
articles as they become available.

A centrally kept storage I already had and could choose either MySQL or
the IMAP-storage. Then I started looking again with my good friend Google
and stumbled on rss2email. A Python script which reads feeds and mail new
articles as they become available. BINGO!

Downloaded it, configured it and put it in a cronjob, Then use some
filters to shuffle the messages in the correct folder and I was all set
up. It took me 15 minutes to get it working.

If people are interested: http://rss2email.infogami.com

Thanks for thingking with me. If there are any questions as to the
implementation: please ask.

Best regards,

--
Paul Zwiers