Re: cyrus murder + avelsieve

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 18:43 +0200, Casper wrote:
> Yes i have tested, i must play a little with the plugincode.
> I let the users login with user@xxxxxxxx on the proxy/frontends but the
> backends just have cyrus and proxycyrus users setup, no @domain.tld auth
> as the frontends/proxy.

> So the proxyserver and avelsieve does not work well here in this (my)
> enviroment (i use 2.3.7 no cvs).

Do the server logs on the backend say anything about sieve? If you are
using PHP5, then avelsieve might try to use STARTTLS for the Sieve
connection. However, your cyrus server might not be configured for this.
I'm rolling out a version that will allow to disable STARTTLS for the
people who don't want it.

I see that the proxy feature for sieve is there since 2.3.6:

 * Added sieve_allowreferrals option to control whether timsieved
issues
    referrals or proxys traffic to backends.

Can you experiment a bit with this option, to see if this solves the
matter for you?

Also can you enable AVELSIEVE_DEBUG per manual? (see
http://email.uoa.gr/projects/squirrelmail/avelsieve_reportingbugs.php )
It should display at least the server it is connecting to, the
username/password, and probably the error message...

> So if i read the manual right, the avelsiev should connect to the same
> imapproxy/frontend as all other clients (like the webmail) and then be
> redirected to the right backend....

Yes.

The difference with Squirrelmail IMAP code is that avelsieve will _do_
follow the referral, rather than let the frontend do the job.

So if you are restricting access from the webmail machine to the
backend's sieve port, you might have trouble.

Can you check, on the webmail machine, if you can do 'telnet
backend1.example.org 2000' ?

Also if you have sieveshell on there, you can use that to try and see if
the connection succeeds.

P.S. Sorry for the long email. :) Try everything I suggest top-down and
let me know.

--
Alexandros Vellis
avel@xxxxxxxxxx