How to configure diverse SMTP and POP server and diverse usernames and passwords

Hallo all

SquirrelMail 1.5.1, Mac OS X 10.4.8, buil-in Apache and PHP.

So what I actually do is this:
I fetch email via fetchmail and hand it over to my imapd.
I read emails from my imap server and it works with
Mail.app and SquirrelMail.
I want to send emails using the smtp server of a public provider.
mail.server.net
But this server asks me to authenticate or use pop before smtp.
I prefer authentication.
So it is configured this way.

I just started yesterday installing squirrelmail on my Mac with the
built-in
apache and php.
all works fine, I can receive mail and view it.
But what I cannot send email. What I did was the following:
I ran config.pl and wanted to say that I want to use
a) smtp not sendmail
b) that my smtp server requires authentication

I could enter smtp instead of sendmail and login or none,
but where do I configure which credentials to use for
the authentication? I did not find a setting
such as smtp_user or smtp_pass.
So I tried to say: I use pop before smtp.
But where do I configure what the pop server is (it is not the same as
the
smtp one)?
The other problem I ran into was that
I could not find where I can configure different user names
and passwords. IMAP works beautifully, but when I try to access my
smtp server it uses the same credentials. But they are different.

Kay Schulz