Re: How can I change the FROM address for my users

On Mon, October 2, 2006 9:24 am, Tetrault, Arthur J. wrote:
> A big company (BigCo.com) bought the smaller company (SmallCo.com)
> for which I work.  My SmallCo.com mail server has about 500 users.
> When my SmallCo.com users send email through the SquirrelMail web
> client now, I would like the "from address" for the outgoing mail to
> be user@xxxxxxxxxx  How can I change this for one user?
>
> If I can change this for one user, I can probably write a script to
> change all my other users.  Note that the usernames do not map
> exactly; that is, JoeSmith@xxxxxxxxxxx might map to smithj@xxxxxxxxx
> while JaneSmith@xxxxxxxxxxx might map to smithja@xxxxxxxxxx  I can
> deal with the mapping myself.  But I do not know how to set this for
> even one user.
>
> I am running SquirrelMail 1.4.2 on Red Hat Linux.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

If you have a one-to-one relationship between the accounts on the
bigco mail server and the smallco mail server, then you can just
configure your outgoing mail server to rewrite the domains in all
headers.  In Postfix, this is a simple matter of using generic(5) or
canonical(5).

If you do not have a one-to-one relationship, then you can create a
table of aliases on the incoming mail server to map from one to the
other.

That fixes things for everyone, in one go, and is something we've used
quite a bit as we move accounts from one mail server to another, while
still keeping a single e-mail namespace.

As for the actual settings in the mail client, just send everyone an
e-mail with instructions for changing their own Personal Information
settings.  :)
----
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml@xxxxxxxxxx