Re: [Courier-imap] Server-side sorting error with squirrelmail

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 03:07:51PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
> Query: SORT (FROM) ISO-8859-1 ALL.

Any logs generated in maillog at this point?

> I can confirm that cpu and ram usage are
> very low, so I would hazard a /guess/ that this is a bug rather than
> running out of resources.

However, if the IMAP server were asked to do grow memory utilisation quickly
and hit is memory ulimit, it would terminate immediately, and so you
might not see the problem.

(Aside: I don't know if couriertcpd waits for the exit status of its
children, but perhaps it should. It could then generate a log message if one
of its children died due to a signal such as SIGXCPU)

I'd also hope that imapd would log an error if malloc() fails, but I don't
know that the code does that at every possible point.

If you want to debug this, here's how I suggest you go about it.

1. Try to replicate the problem. Given this particular mailbox, you might be
able to by

telnet localhost 143
a login username password
a select inbox
a sort (from) iso-8859-1 all

[If this fails, see if anything interesting is logged back to the telnet
session]

If this doesn't fail, then you'll need to find out exactly what the client
is sending which tickles the bug. You can do this using tcpdump:

   tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s1500 -X host x.x.x.x    # where x.x.x.x = client IP

or by setting IMAPDEBUGFILE=log.txt in the 'imapd' config file, although
doing so will mean that *all* clients will get a log.txt inside their
Maildir logging the commands sent to them.

2. If you can replicate it reliably, things get easier. You can now try to
replicate at the command line:

# su - username
$ /path/to/imapd ./Maildir

This should put you straight into an authenticated imap session. Enter the
same commands. If they still replicate the problem, then move on to using
strace to monitor the system calls:

$ strace -f /path/to/imapd ./Maildir

and see what it's doing just before it bombs out. You could also try running
it under gdb, but that needs some more expertise.

HTH,

Brian.