inbox.sent empty in Outlook - Update

Title: Message
I want to give an update & provide more info.

We use squirrelmail to access our unix based imap email server from home or on the road. While at work (in the office) we use Outlook 2002 via imap to access our unix based imap email server.

A user mentioned to me that while they were on the road & using squirrelmail they sent many emails and verified that a copy was stored in the squirrelmail inbox.sent folder. When they returned to the office & opened Outlook, there were no messages in the inbox.sent folder.
They open squirrelmail a second time and did confirm that there were messages in the inbox.sent folder, but when they returned to outlook, outlook only showed an empty inbox.sent folder.

After troubleshooting I have discovered that, if I create a new folder in squirrelmail and move mail to it, or store messages in the "special folders"; inbox.sent, inbox.drafts, or inbox.trash, then exit out of Squirrelmail.

Then open outlook, outlook sees the new folders created in squirrelmail & "special folders" of squirrelmail, but when you open these folders they are empty.
Also, while in outlook, you can not delete or rename these folders, outlook states "no such mailbox".

After further troubleshooting I discovered that any folders created in Outlook can be seen & function correctly in Squirrelmail. But, any folder created in Squirrelmail can be seen in Outlook but Outlook does not show the contents of these folders and Outlook cannot rename or delete these folders.

Squirrelmail version 1.4.0
Outlook 2002 using IMAP

Can anyone offer a solution or additional troubleshooting steps?

Thanks
Dave