Local Users vs Virtual Users

Ok when a customer signs up for hosting with me, a default email addres is
created using their username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which it seems is a local
email account.  To login to it they just have to use their username and
their password rather then the usual full email address.

I want Squirrelmail to recognize the address if they put in the full
username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.  Currently it does not recognize it
since its a local email account, but it will recognize any email address
they create via cpanel.  I know of the Virtual host login pluggin but i
don't think thats quite what i'm looking for.  It would enable me to let
everyone use just their usernames but thats not what I want.

Is there a way to do this so even the default email accounts can login
with their full email address?