Re: Local Users vs Virtual Users

On 6/12/06, Rusty Zimmerman <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok when a customer signs up for hosting with me, a default email addres is
> created using their username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which it seems is a local
> email account.  To login to it they just have to use their username and
> their password rather then the usual full email address.
>
> I want Squirrelmail to recognize the address if they put in the full
> username@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.  Currently it does not recognize it
> since its a local email account, but it will recognize any email address
> they create via cpanel.  I know of the Virtual host login pluggin but i
> don't think thats quite what i'm looking for.  It would enable me to let
> everyone use just their usernames but thats not what I want.

I'm not you, but what I would hope you would want IS for users to just
log in with the username portion only, since otherwise is rude to your
users.  HOWEVER, what you DO in fact want (I hope) is not to have your
mail user accounts synonymous with local user accounts, such that your
accounts ARE in fact in the form you say you want:
username@xxxxxxxxxxx  The difference is that Vlogin will help your
users shortcut the domain part of the address (but they will have to
log in through their domain, otherwise login will fail).  So users get
fewer keystrokes, but you can have more than one user named "joe" and
much better security.

> Is there a way to do this so even the default email accounts can login
> with their full email address?

Don't create accounts like that?  Get a better mail system?
Seriously, there are a hundred answers to this, and it all depends on
your server's mail system and your ability to configure and manage it.

If you are just making due with what you have and the goal is for a
local user called "joe" to be able to log in with "joe@xxxxxxxxxx",
then you could configure Vlogin to drop the host/domain part of the
login and it would work fine, if that's what you're after.

-paul