Search squid archive

Re: Outgoing traffic through certain device instead of IP?

On 12/08/23 05:23, Robert 'Bobby' Zenz wrote:
I'd like to send all the outgoing traffic from Squid through a certain
network device instead of an IP. There's `tcp_outgoing_address` and
`udp_outgoing_address` which only accepts an IP as parameter, but
there's no way to use a certain device?

Squid is limited to selecting certain details of the TCP packets.
Device routing details are up to the operating system.

I just wanted to verify that there is currently no way to have a
certain network device specified because I couldn't find anything about
it in the documentation.

You can have Squid can set dst-IP or TOS/QoS marking on packets. The OS routing services should be able to use those to do its selection.

My use-case here is that I have multiple
OpenVPN tunnels open and use Squid to funnel traffic through them
(including DNS queries which works great!). These OpenVPN tunnels all
have their own network device, but the IP address might or might not
change at some point, and when that happens Squid won't be able to
forward traffic anymore. Of course I can work around that (OpenVPN
`--ipchange` to fire a script when the IP changes), but I just wanted
to check whether I've missed something here.

In this case, leaving the outgoing IP to the OS is best.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_mark/> is available to mark (aka classify in QoS terms) Squid traffic for the OS routing.

HTH
Amos