Search squid archive

Re: Squid Degrading

On 12/1/22 11:20, utb trialuser wrote:

What is your Squid version (squid --version)?

5.2

We can stop here. Please upgrade to Squid v5.7 or later. Squid v5.2 is just too buggy to be usable in most production environments (and to investigate any performance problems).

Any errors or warnings in cache.log?

*WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors*

There are known Squid v5.2 bugs that may result in the above warnings and related performance degradation. I hope that these problems will be gone, and your Squid performance will be acceptable after you upgrade.

Good luck,

Alex.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 6:12 PM Alex Rousskov wrote:

    On 11/30/22 16:57, utb trialuser wrote:
     > Hello, I'm running a basic Squid setup on the latest version of
    Ubuntu.
     > Could you help me figure out why when 15 people connect to my
    proxy it
     > starts degrading and websites start to take really long to load?
     > According to the log file, connections take up to 300000ms to
    load when
     > this happens. And via other networking tools I was able to
    realize that
     > packets were being dropped. Bandwidth usage tops at 6MB/s
    according to
     > another networking tool. Thanks.

    What is your Squid version (squid --version)?

    Any errors or warnings in cache.log?

    Do you have a cache_dir and/or cache_mem configured in squid.conf? Do
    you have "workers" configured?

    How much free RAM is left on the box when "websites start to take
    really
    long to load"?

    Alex.