Search squid archive

Re: Squid Degrading

Hi Alex,

What is your Squid version (squid --version)?

5.2

Any errors or warnings in cache.log?

With squid degraded I get the following warning:

WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

With squid working fine I get the following error with many different ips:

SendEcho ERROR: sending to ICMPv6 packet to [ip]: (101) Network is unreachable

Do you have a cache_dir and/or cache_mem configured in squid.conf? Do
you have "workers" configured?

I installed squid on 2 different pc's, one with cache_dir and one without cache_dir. However if I ran the command to check whether or not the cache_dir was filling up or not, in both cases they would show that they were filling up. In the case with cache_dir disabled, coredump_dir was set up on the same dir where cache_dir would go. In no case was cache_mem or "workers" set up.

How much free RAM is left on the box when "websites start to take really
long to load"?

The system with cache_dir has 8GB of RAM and 6GB is left when it degrades. The system without cache_dir has 4GB of RAM and 2GB is left when it degrades.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 6:12 PM Alex Rousskov <rousskov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/30/22 16:57, utb trialuser wrote:
> Hello, I'm running a basic Squid setup on the latest version of Ubuntu.
> Could you help me figure out why when 15 people connect to my proxy it
> starts degrading and websites start to take really long to load?
> According to the log file, connections take up to 300000ms to load when
> this happens. And via other networking tools I was able to realize that
> packets were being dropped. Bandwidth usage tops at 6MB/s according to
> another networking tool. Thanks.

What is your Squid version (squid --version)?

Any errors or warnings in cache.log?

Do you have a cache_dir and/or cache_mem configured in squid.conf? Do
you have "workers" configured?

How much free RAM is left on the box when "websites start to take really
long to load"?

Alex.