Search squid archive

Re: Re: question about DNS cache

On 2013-11-28 06:44, Carlos Defoe wrote:
In fact, I was observing a recently restarted server. At one another
that was running for a long time, I could see the fqdncache almost
full (about 1000 entries). I increased fqdncache_size to 10k, lets see
if both servers now can cache more entries and reduce the queries to
the DNS servers.

The FQDN cache is the cache of DNS PTR lookups to convert an IP->name. Increasing that caches size will not have much of an impact unless you are running a reverse proxy and logging client FQDN or facing a lot of raw-IP traffic.

Most of the DNS performed by Squid will be cached in the ipcache, which stores the name->IP lookups.

Also, over time the caches always fill up to the size you give them. The relevant details is whether there are many entries listed which are still fresh, or if the TTL on most of them has expired. After the TTL expiry a new DNS lookup will be performed regardless of the cache entry.

Amos