Search squid archive

Re: Squid Start service & chkconfig error....!

On 09/30/2010 12:47 AM, Bob Kromonos Achten wrote:
Means, that service couldn't found.
Because you compiled squid with own prefix in another directory, than
ubuntu/debian searches for.

Are you sure he is on Debian? chkconfig is not a standard binary on Debian and is mostly used on Redhat based systems. Debian based systems use rc.d [on Ubuntu you use both rc.d and upstart service]

Try writing an own init script for your self compiled squid.
Look at /etc/init.d if a squid init file is already there. If yes, you
could try to modify it.

First make sure you have SRPM's enabled in your repo list, and make sure you have deb-src enabled in your repo list too (since I can't assume which OS you have):

If you are on Debian based systems go to /usr/local/src and do:
apt-get source squid3

If you are on Redhat based systems go to /usr/local/src and do:
yum install yum-utils
yumdownloader --source squid
rpm -Uvh squid*.src.rpm

The reason I had you download the source files from the distro you're using is because they each have an init script that is specifically designed for that distro [for example ~ I don't believe they use start-stop-daemon on CentOS] Anyways, you can snag that init script and copy it to /etc/init.d yourself and then you can do your chkconfig to add the service to startup.