Search squid archive

Re: Advice regarding Squid Vs "regular" Apache

Reverse Squid wrote:
Thanks Jeff.

With that many Squid server it will become more of a headache than
anything else.
But what about with 4 servers? in different locations around the
globe, so cache_peer is not an option (high latency).

Latency is much the same, whether sync'ing four global web servers or sync'ing four global caches. When you think about it, the web server is merely a file cache with different storage format than Squid.

Then again, Squid only fetches objects as needed. So a file can be altered twice in a day and never be fetched between. Compared to it being rsync'ed twice without being used.

As I said, Squid has a huge advantage due to it's ability to cache in
memory, but other than that?

Well, its a fairly nasty headache to create CDN using apache and mod_proxy.

Perhaps I will get better caching results simply with an apache. That
way there is no IMS, no overhead. That's it.

IMS only happen when objects are thought to be stale. So short-lived objects are the biggest drag and getting them to all points of the network on time is always a big problem whether by rsync or not.

Amos
--
Please be using