Search squid archive

Re: RE : [squid-users] Squid vs WCCPv2 - Need help involving interpretation in Wireshark

Yanis Sauvé wrote:

-------- Message d'origine--------
De: Amos Jeffries [mailto:squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Date: mer. 13/01/2010 22:17
À: squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: Squid vs WCCPv2 - Need help involving interpretation in Wireshark

<snip>

 >Should look like packets arriving on the main interface from the client
 >host.

The packets I see in WS have my router's IP as source, and the cache server's as destination. WS shows the packet that's encapsulated in GRE.

Uhm, thats not what I recall seeing. You may need to check that they are being gre-decapsulated by iptables.

The easy way is to set Squid debugging level "debug_options 5,6". When working you should be able to see the client connections being accept()ed by Squid.

So, in other words, the problem is likely in the way iptables handles the packets, or in squid itself?

 >Yes. In wireshark the gre interface is not visible. gre interface is
 >unwrapping packets then re-scheduling them through the OS routing stack
 >as if they arrived on the primary interface. In your case it sounds like
 >the main one is eth0/bond0.
 >The only way I know of identifying the exact handling interface is
 >logging from ebtables or watching the receiving interface counters grow.

Would this mean that I can see the interface in WS, but see no packets coming in through it?

Well, in the two traces I've worked through for interception that has been the case. The interface counters raise, but WS saw the decapsulated data.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15