Search squid archive

Re: Squid vs WCCPv2 - Need help involving interpretation in Wireshark

Yanis Sauvé wrote:
Hello everyone,

PIX 525, os 7.2(4), WCCPv2. CentOS 5.4
(2.6.18-164.6.1.el5.centos.plus).

Configuration on PIX side seems to be valid, since I see a lot of
traffic coming from the PIX on the cache-server in Wireshark when the
redirection command is applied to the ingress interface.

I was wondering what it should look like in Wireshark?

Should look like packets arriving on the main interface from the client host.

Either Pre-NAT (outside the squid box):
   client-> web server
     squid -> web server
     web server -> squid
  squid -> client

Or post-NAT (inside the squid box):
  client -> squid
    squid -> web server
    web server -> squid
  squid -> client

NP: Squid connects to any IP of the web server independent of the one the client was trying to connect.

Payload of the sub-stream squid-> server and back should be almost but not identical to the one to the client.

I do see my GRE tunnel interface but I see no traffic coming through
it, it all comes over the eth0 (actually bond0) interface.  Is this
normal?

Yes. In wireshark the gre interface is not visible. gre interface is unwrapping packets then re-scheduling them through the OS routing stack as if they arrived on the primary interface. In your case it sounds like the main one is eth0/bond0. The only way I know of identifying the exact handling interface is logging from ebtables or watching the receiving interface counters grow.

If I do requests directly to squid, everything works OK, just not
when the PIX takes care of redirection.

If Squid is configured properly to intercept traffic you should be seeing NAT errors logged by Squid on non-NAT traffic arriving on the intercept port.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15