Search squid archive

Re: Offline mode with a parent cache doesn't work

londoner1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to setup a local squid cache on my laptop so that I can browse intranet pages when I am on a plane and don't have network connection.

I am therefore using the squid offline_toggle option via the 'squid3client mgr:offline_toggle' command.

However, I am finding that pages are not being cached when I have my Office proxy set as a parent to my local one.

I am running ubuntu hardy with squid 3 STABLE.1 ubuntu package on my local machine, with a parent proxy set using the following lines in my squid.conf:

cache_peer proxy.nectech.co.uk parent 8080 0 no-query
prefer_direct off

PS: The above two lines came from Squid wiki here:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid#head-
c050a0a0382c01fbfb9da7e9c18d58bafd4eb027

My approach to test this is as follows:

1 Set firefox to my localhost:3128 proxy
2 Start squid in online mode and browse to a website.
3 Close firefox
4 Set local squid into offline mode using 'squid3client mgr:offline_toggle' 5 Pull out the Network cable (to simulate being on a plane) 6 Reopen firefox and browse to same site as in step 2.
After step six, the page does not load and eventually times out.

If i take out the parent cache lines, the offline mode will work.

Please can anyone help?

'offline_mode' means that Squid no longer attempts page validation and fetching of new pages. It does not means supplying content known to be past expiry.

Squid will still behave as a proper well behaved proxy. Just as one without a network connection to keep stuff available.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.8