Search squid archive

Re: Forward SSH on internal machine through Squid to external server

Dave Dykstra wrote:
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:57:37PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
	I would like to forward an scp session from one internal machine through
the Squid proxy and connect to an external machine. I have found many
documents that write about running squid over SSH but not the other way
around.  I searched on the Squid-Cache wiki for SSH but could not find
anything.
Squid provides the CONNECT HTTP method for this type of thing.

Setting the system http_proxy environment variable may make scp use that
proxy as a gateway. If not you are probably out of luck. scp is intended
to be very simple and easy to use for end-to-end encrypted links. Adding
squid to the equation breaks that.
Check the proxy capabilities of your programs (ssh, scp, whatever) they
need to be capable of transport over HTTP-proxy. If they do configure it
and set whatever ports they need to CONNECT to, to both the Safe_ports and
SSL_ports ACL.
If they don't support transport over HTTP-proxy thats the end of it.

No, it's not the end.  I have succesfully tunnelled ssh over another
program that handles http-proxy:
    http://www.nocrew.org/software/httptunnel.html

That program doesn't even require CONNECT, it goes over regular http and
it periodically (or when the connection drops) starts new http
connections without interrupting the tunnel.

- Dave

Oooh, thank you very much for finding this one.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7 or 3.0.STABLE16-RC1