Search squid archive

Re: Placing COMPANY logo / BANNER

Parvinder Bhasin wrote:
I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything regarding this. I would like to place a banner on every request client browser makes. I hear that it can maybe be done using Squid 3.1 and ICAP server. Is there any example of this config? I am ok with coding something for this purpose.

Thanks and sorry if I have asked the same question in one way or the other before.

Thx.

Ah for the love of all that is Internet. No!

There are much better alternatives than scribbling additions all over every web object.

The one I highly recommend is to use a captive-portal approach, where users see a full page of your content on arrival and optionally at regular intervals. This is much safer and socially acceptable than altering external content. Squid provides the session helper for a kick start. Alternative helpers can easily be written to suit other use cases.

Please note the problems with your original request:
* what you see as a "page" is often a very large collection of small objects. Altering any of them can have a range of effects, from disastrous to ineffectual. * there is close to zero chance of identifying on the fly the linkage between certain web objects displayed on the same page. Which can royally screw over your users experience. * adding company banners to other companies content can quickly get you into big legal issues (them voluntarily using banner ads is a contract agreement, yours is a violation of someone elses service agreements). * consider the poor user who opens their banking website or facebook page only to see your company name. How are they to differentiate you from a spammer/phisher out to grab their personal details? Why should they trust you ever again after that?

/thinking I'll have to write this up one day or find a good how-why reference article on net-neutrality.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.7