Search squid archive

Backup Domain Controllers for NTLMv2 Auth

Hi,

I am busy setting up a squid cluster using NTLMv2 to authenticate users. My
main concern now is how I could setup a backup Domain Controller server to
connect to if the main Domain Controller couldn't be reached. So it's
basically a backup DC that will only be used should the main one be
unreachable.

I join NTLM the following way:

#net join -S ServerName -w DomainName -U Username%Password
Once that is done I run
#winbindd
#nmbd

Then my squid config looks something like this:

acl NTLM proxy_auth REQUIRED
auth_param ntlm program /usr/local/libexec/squid/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_reuses 0
auth_param ntlm max_challenge_lifetime 2 minutes
auth_param ntlm children 2

auth_param basic program /usr/local/libexec/squid/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic realm $host Cache NTLM Authentication
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic children $child

http_access allow NTLM

So it all works fine, challenge response and everything. The only problem
now would be if the main DC would go down, all users wouldn't be able to
auth. Hence the reason for asking for a way to specify a backup DC to
connect to only if the first one is down. I have thought about doing a round
robin with dns, but that wouldn't be the ideal way since if the one server
is down, half of the requests would go to it, since there is no way of
knowing if its down.

Thanks in advance,
Ian