Search squid archive

Offline mode on a per-host basis?

Hello,
I've been browsing through the archives for a while, not finding exactly
what I'm after, so I figured I'd give squid-users a try ;)

Basically, my setup is as follows:

Each Squid-server will have a local web server (127.0.0.1) that takes care
of mission-critical work
(Very low traffic, most likely less than one hit per minute).
The Squid-servers are also running in http accelerator mode against a remote
server (completely different location).

When/if the accelerated host becomes unavailable, I can switch to offline
mode.
The problem with offline mode is that it seems to be a global flag, e.g. I
have no way of setting the remote server to offline while keeping the local
web server online (as far as I can see).

Any ideas or suggestions would be very welcome

Kind regards,
Oscar Rylin