Re: Userquestion - remote-viewer connection fails with "Connection type could not be determined by URI"

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 09:27:21AM +0100, Stefan Silberstein wrote:
> I appreciate the time to answer me.
>
> In the meantime (out of desperation because i needed the virtualmachine for
> work) I gave it a go with specifying root as user and not the servers
> username "server".
>
> I was able to connect to the virtual Windows10 installation with
>
> remote-viewer spice://root@192.168.178.51:5900

Cool

> But again - then I dont unterstand why it worked as user and
> later on with specifying the user later on (which doesn't work
> right now anymore)
>
> So it is a permissions problem on my side and I successfully
> wasted your time. :/
>
> Sorry about that.

Don't worry about that. Happy to hear it worked.

> This happens when "users" try to play with the big boys toys :D
>
> Have a nice day you all and thanks for your time.

You too.
Cheers,

> Stefan
>
> Am Mi., 16. Nov. 2022 um 09:21 Uhr schrieb Victor Toso <
> victortoso@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 09:53:05PM +0100, Stefan Silberstein wrote:
> > > Hello developers,
> > >
> > > I can imagine that this will be an annoying question for you -
> > > so I apologize in advance.
> > >
> > > I am a user - with a longer history with linux BUT i am
> > > completely new to virtualization.
> > > Due to the fact that I got a server donated to me I wanted to
> > > give it a go and it worked like a charm.
> > >
> > > Installed virt-manager, installed Windows10  connected with
> > > virt-manager - absolutely no problem.
> > >
> > > Due to the fact that I need dual monitors I learned that I
> > > could add another display and connect with spice - and it
> > > worked immediately.
> > >
> > > BUT - without me changing anything (consciously) I wasn't able
> > > to connect to the virtual machine the next week.
> > >
> > > It refuses with "Verbindungstyp konnte nicht von URI ermittelt werden"
> > > (Connection type could not be determined by URI)
> > >
> > > Then i tried to connect with sudo and specifying the user in
> > > the command line and it once again connected:
> > >
> > > sudo remote-viewer  spice:⁄⁄server@192.168.178.51:5900
> >
> > Perhaps the URL is the problem. If the IP is 192.168.178.51 and
> > the port for the VM is 5900, then try
> >
> >     remote-viewer spice://192.168.178.51:5900
> >
> > If server is a dns that can be resolved, should be fine to use it
> > instead of ip address
> >
> >     remote-viewer spice://server:5900
> >

> > > And now - again without changing anything - it doesn't connect
> > > with that command as well.
> > >
> > > I have sadly NO clue whatsoever where to even search for a
> > > solution - the internet didn't help me here...
> > >
> > > Do you have any hint at all what I might do wrong here?
> > >
> > > The machine is available - the port is open and visible
> > > PORT     STATE SERVICE
> > > 22/tcp   open  ssh
> > > 80/tcp   open  http
> > > 3389/tcp open  ms-wbt-server
> > > 5900/tcp open  vnc
> > >
> > > ufw on the server is shut down.
> > >
> > > ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > You can get more verbose information of issues with --spice-debug
> > command line option too.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Victor

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]