Re: Userquestion - remote-viewer connection fails with "Connection type could not be determined by URI"

Hi Stefan,

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 09:53:05PM +0100, Stefan Silberstein wrote:
> Hello developers,
>
> I can imagine that this will be an annoying question for you -
> so I apologize in advance.
>
> I am a user - with a longer history with linux BUT i am
> completely new to virtualization.
> Due to the fact that I got a server donated to me I wanted to
> give it a go and it worked like a charm.
>
> Installed virt-manager, installed Windows10  connected with
> virt-manager - absolutely no problem.
>
> Due to the fact that I need dual monitors I learned that I
> could add another display and connect with spice - and it
> worked immediately.
>
> BUT - without me changing anything (consciously) I wasn't able
> to connect to the virtual machine the next week.
>
> It refuses with "Verbindungstyp konnte nicht von URI ermittelt werden"
> (Connection type could not be determined by URI)
>
> Then i tried to connect with sudo and specifying the user in
> the command line and it once again connected:
>
> sudo remote-viewer  spice:⁄⁄server@192.168.178.51:5900

Perhaps the URL is the problem. If the IP is 192.168.178.51 and
the port for the VM is 5900, then try

    remote-viewer spice://192.168.178.51:5900

If server is a dns that can be resolved, should be fine to use it
instead of ip address

    remote-viewer spice://server:5900

> And now - again without changing anything - it doesn't connect
> with that command as well.
>
> I have sadly NO clue whatsoever where to even search for a
> solution - the internet didn't help me here...
>
> Do you have any hint at all what I might do wrong here?
>
> The machine is available - the port is open and visible
> PORT     STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp   open  ssh
> 80/tcp   open  http
> 3389/tcp open  ms-wbt-server
> 5900/tcp open  vnc
>
> ufw on the server is shut down.
>
> ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get more verbose information of issues with --spice-debug
command line option too.

Cheers,
Victor

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux Virtualization]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [Monitors]