Re: [2.6.29.4] Blade 2000

From: BERTRAND Joël <joel.bertrand@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 09:06:51 +0200

> David Miller wrote:
>> I can reproduce this.
>> One of the cpus triggers the NMI watchdog when the qla2xxx driver
>> loads the firmware.  Did you ever provide the failed bootup log?  It
>> might let me to fix this bug more quickly. :-/
>
> 	I can (I have to find my serial/USB adapter...).

Don't worry about this, I meant to use past tense "it would have
let me fix this bug more quickly".

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is.  NOHZ triggers and since
when the driver is built into the kernel the device initialization
occurs with no other activity, no timers, no other tasks that could
run, and therefore no timers are scheduled and eventually the NMI
triggers during the qla2xxx firmware download into the chip.

qla2xxx driver is innocent, it's just some bad interaction between
the NMI watchdog and NOHZ in this specific situation.