Re: [sparc64] Strange interaction between 2.6 kernel and 2.5 (and 2.6) glibc

On 31 Jul 2007, at 19:21, David Miller wrote:

From: gavin duley <gduley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:45:12 +0000

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:22:35AM -0700, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: gavin duley <gduley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:16:53 +0000

My Sun box is a Sun Ultra 5 with just one processor: a TI UltraSparc
IIi (Sabre). From memory, it is 333MHz with 2MB cache.

What exactly is your test case that fails?

The application that hangs on my machine is iceweasel. The machine is
running Debian testing:

So I installed debian/testing on my ultra5, and ran iceweasel
both remotely over SSH and locally under gnome desktop,
I could get neither to hang.

From memory, the times iceweasel has hung has generally been after it's been running for over a day, though with only a few tabs open. Maybe it needs to be left running a little while?

I'm just trying running iceweasel with strace again anyway.

Now, my ultra5 has a 270MHZ Ultra-IIi compared to your higher
speed chip, but I'm thinking that the cpu type is a red herring.

I think you guys have something enabled or in use in your
installations that I don't.

Do you happen to be using NIS, or NFS, or something unique like that?
If you have some firewalling enabled, can you retest with it disabled?

I'm not using NFS or NIS. At the moment, I don't have a firewall on that machine (something I should fix soon, but it's only accessible to people on the same network as me so it's not a major priority). It's just running a fairly standard install of Debian testing. The only slightly unusual thing is that I am using lvm, but I don't think that's the problem.

Network-wise, everything is fairly standard, with the IP address being got via DHCP.

gavin,

--
You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people
can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage.

Gavin Duley
<gduley@xxxxxxxxxx>   <gduley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~gduley/

-