Re: Sunfire v880

On 3/8/07, David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: "Alex Deucher" <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:18:43 -0500

> On 3/7/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Gentoo seems to be carrying this patch:
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-sparc&m=110314220200915&w=2
> >
> > I'm going to try and see if that is indeed what fixes the issue.  If
> > so perhaps it should go upstream?
> >

> FWIW, this patch got 2.6.17 vanilla booting for us.  I hope that
> helping in tracking things down in the newer kernels.

It doesn't at all.

That patch modifies prom_gettree() which won't be called until
long after the machine boots up and /proc/openprom is mounted.

We're getting nowhere, we have patches to code that doesn't run
during bootup fixing the bootup, printk() statements that don't
actually print out anything, etc.

This is turning in a waste of time and I'm only going to be able to
fix this with physical access to an v880 machine that exhibits the
problem instead of going back and forth like this every day.

Thanks for all your help with this.  I wish I could send you a v880.
If there's anything else you or anyone else would like me to try let
me know.  One last thing, I noticed this message when I create the
aout version of the kernel:

PT 0 Entry: Loadable to 0x400000[0x39e918] from 0x0[0x32b788] align 0x100000
PT 1 Entry: unknown

perhaps the additional size added by that patch changes something that
makes it happy when loading?

If I figure out anything new I'll let you know.

Alex
-