32 bit float truncated to 24 bit int with no parameters

Heya,

I'm a newbie to sox, and I've recently been using it to trim, append, and normalize PCM audio.  Those functions work fine (I have removed those specific parameters in the command below since my issue persists without them).

However, when I try to save my file as 32 bit float, the audio is truncated to 24 bit int.  Even if I have no parameters and just input output a 32f file, the audio is truncated to 24 bit int.  Here's the command, where in.wav is a 32 bit float file with content more precise than 24 bit int:

sox "in.wav" "out.wav"

To be clear, the output file IS a 32 bit float file, but the audio is truncated to 24 bit.  I also tried specifying 32 bit float in the command, but no change.

sox "in.wav" -b 32 -e floating-point "out.wav"

I have been using Bitter VST in iZotope RX to view the actual depth of the audio file.  One more thing, saving a 32 bit float as a 32 bit int file is truncated as intended.  It's only when saving as 32f that the audio is truncated to 24 bit int.

Here are some screenshots of Bitter to ease your understanding (note that foo.wav is out.wav):
https://imgur.com/a/wWlwk6T

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Sean H