Re: 32 bit float truncated to 24 bit int with no parameters

Sean Hurley <debrebeuf01@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Heya,
>
> I'm a newbie to sox, and I've recently been using it to trim, append, and
> normalize PCM audio.  Those functions work fine (I have removed those
> specific parameters in the command below since my issue persists without
> them).
>
> However, when I try to save my file as 32 bit float, the audio is truncated
> to 24 bit int.  Even if I have no parameters and just input output a 32f
> file, the audio is truncated to 24 bit int.  Here's the command, where
> in.wav is a 32 bit float file with content more precise than 24 bit int:
>
> sox "in.wav" "out.wav"
>
> To be clear, the output file IS a 32 bit float file, but the audio is
> truncated to 24 bit.  I also tried specifying 32 bit float in the command,
> but no change.

SoX uses integer representation of samples internally regardless of what
the source format was.  If a floating-point input contains sample values
that can't be represented as integers, they will be clipped or rounded.

See this bug entry: https://sourceforge.net/p/sox/bugs/317/

--
Måns Rullgård