Re: How can I reduce 8svx file size further?

Mikko Olkkonen <molkko@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 8:50 PM Iarla Ó'Riada <iarlaoriada@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I’m using this command to create 8svx files:
>>
>> sox -q --multi-threaded --buffer 131072 -S -V -D "epoch.wav" "epoch.8svx"
>> remix - rate -v -s -I -b 99 -a 16754 gain -n -0.14 dither -S stats -b 8
>>
>> It’s good for ancient computers , but I’d like to reduce file size further
>> if possible. What’s the best way to do this?
>
> At least in my setup the file size seems to be very much proportional to -a
> value. e.g. 16754->8300 results in roughly halved file size. -a 1 results
> in file size of only 29 bytes! I dont know if this qualifies as "the best
> way to do it".

There seems to be some misunderstanding here.  The -a flag to the rate
effect does not take an argument.  The number you are playing with is
the target sample rate.  Requesting a sample rate of 1 Hz amounts to
throwing out pretty much all the audio data, so it's no surprise the
resulting file is small.

As for the original question, 8svx files store uncompressed 8-bit
samples.  The file size thus depends entirely on the sample rate and
the number of channels (which you've already reduced to one/mono).

Depending on the application, a low sample rate may be acceptable.  For
reference, traditional landline telephony uses 8 kHz sample rate.

--
Måns Rullgård