Re: multitasking

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> $ sox input output effect1 effect2 effect3 ...

Thanks

> A single SoX process will run on a single CPU.

Thanks again.

> The effects are applied in the order you specify them.

And again.

> But you don't have a billion little flacs, you have one huge flac.
> (BTW, why? Is this the complete Nibelungs?)

No. But it's The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and the like. It
comes in a billion little wavs that get converted to a billion little
flacs and them cat'ed into one huge flac (SoX, BTW, has no trouble
with a command line with 250+ params). They all have to be cat'ed for
the effects  to be consistent throughout.

> A single instance of SoX will perform the effects in sequence.
> You can try running a pipeline of many SoX instances instead:
> $ sox input - effect1 | sox - - effect2 | ... | sox - output effectN
> Then your operating system could assign each SoX process to a separate CPU.

That's kinda what I thought -- pipes.

> It would be simpler if you isolated your SoX problem to just that.
> The rest of your program has nothing to do with this.

I'm having no problem at all (well, just a bit at first) with SoX.
It's a delightful piece of software.

Back in the analog days, I once spent all fall editing and splicing up
a project that took all summer to record (Homer's Iliad). Easily a
left arm for the likes of SoX/Python back then :-)

> I'm not sure you understand: there is no "self sorting".

There is if I need to specify the effects in a rational order. EQ
before compression before normalize, for example.

> The sequence of effects (or the order of the pipeline)
> is determined by your SoX command.

That assumes a little sorting or the command line by me. A mortal.

> You still haven't told us what exactly
> you want to do with the single input file.

I don't know yet. There are a lot of decisions to be made, probably
different for every file/user. I want to prepare a sort of menu for
the user of various options of some of SoX' effects, then give the
list of desired effects to SoX to do, probably overnight.

--
Glenn English