multitasking

I'm writing a wrapper around SoX, and I've come to the point where a
number of it's capabilities are required at the same time (eq,
bandpassing, speech rate change, etc.) and I'm confused about the best
way to get these all done.

I'm running on a multi-core CPU, so I turned on mult-threaded but it
doesn't seem to use more than one -- it seems to hop around from one
to another, but always running on just a single core at a time.

There's talk of a 'chain' in the dox consisting of a number of args
with ':' between them, but I'm not sure what this means. Does just
asking for a number of actions enable some kind of threading, using
several cores in parallel? And if so, does it sort them so
normalization happens after eq after concatenation, etc.?

Or should I just give the shell a number of SoXes piped together?
That's my first guess, but SoX seems so capable that one of the others
is very likely a better choice.

TIA.

--
Glenn English