Obtaining 24-bit Samples

We're about to deploy a couple of systems to record audio for an experiment. We are using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on OSX.

My first question is that when I try to create a .wav or .raw file and request 24-bit sampling it tells me that it is 32-bit:

Squall: ./sox --rate 96k -b 24 -d sample.raw

Input File     : 'default' (coreaudio)
Channels       : 2
Sample Rate    : 96000
Precision      : 32-bit
Sample Encoding: 32-bit Signed Integer PCM

As a test I have music playing from my iPhone into two channels of the Focusrite using a splitter. When I record to .wav I can hear the music just fine.

I ran across a post where someone had a similar issue and it was suggested that sox may request 24 bits but will use whatever the hardware can actually do but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm attaching a screen shot of the Audio MIDI setup that shows the device configured for 96 kHz and 24-bit samples.

Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 4.51.53 PM.png

It's important that I get raw output from the device as we will be using the data to develop algorithms for our embedded system (which will eventually sample the microphone directly).

My second question: Is there a supported format that supports time stamps? 24-bit raw data with period stamps would be ideal.

Many thanks. Nice to have a command line tool to do this stuff.

Regards,

Kenny