Re: volume extremely low when combining many files

On Sep 27, 2016, at 4:30 PM, Erich Eckner <erich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Bob,

yes, I saw your post (but had other stuff to do) - thanks for the reminder.

The problem seems to be the "speed" effect, which implies a "rate"
effect, which uses ffts and thus the zero from the pad effect may become
nonzero (but close to).

My suggestion is to either use "speed" on sound0000 and generate an
intermediate file or to explicitely use the "rate" effect _before_ "pad"
(but I'm not sure, the latter works).

cheers, Erich

Hey Erich,

  Thanks for the reply. However, I tried it without the ‘speed’ call and still got the same noise  But I think I know what the problem may be now.  I just noticed this warning:

sox WARN pad: Input audio too short; pads not applied: 1

So I guess the sound is too short for padding to work?  I’m not sure why the length of the sound would matter for padding.  And it *is* making the sound the length I specify, so ‘pad’ is doing something.  That is kind of weird.

Bob