Re: "delay" the other way

> Anatoly wrote:
>
> I have been using a command that puts together a stereo
> file based on two other input files and delays one of them
> by a value I determine previously.
>
> So, now I need to actually shift my first channel audio the
> other way. I was trying delay -0.5 and it failed.
>
> Is there an easy work around?

> I'd prefer not to shift channel 2 because I am actually
> putting SMPTE data into it, and I'd like it to be correctly
> aligned to the real time, rather than have a random offset.

It's not possible to advance anything.  SoX is amazing, but
it cannot predict the future, therefore it cannot apply a
negative delay.  The only way it could simulate this is by
adding delay to all the other channels - which you don't want
to do because the SMTPE timecode won't match realtime.

So until SoX can travel in time, I don't see a solution.

Well, it's a file, isn't it? So no need for looking in the future. Just implement Lookahead. In the file, not in the future…
So what to do with the data that starts at the negative part of the timeline after the negative ”delay”? Well, just throw them away! It doesn't need to be harder than that…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg