Powered by Linux
Re: Some minor tweaks — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Some minor tweaks

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 04:00:50PM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> > I tried doing a `smatch_data/db/create_db.sh -p=kernel warns.txt` and it
> > was way slower.  :(  I had to kill it after some hours.
>
> That's odd. What kind of hardware do you run this on?

The number of cores shouldn't matter for building the DB, but I'm on
intel quad core with hyper threading and 32 GB RAM.

How big is your smatch_db.sqlite?  Mine is 11GB.

> Anyway, I've redone that part, so now perl/DBI is back, but the solution
> is a little ugly. See the misc_tweaks2 branch on github. I just built
> the database from scratch for an allmodconfig kernel in 63 minutes,
> which is almost exactly twice as fast as yesterday. If this version is
> also slow for you something weird must be going on.

Btw, I changed your cut commands from:

-	cut -f3 -d:
+	cut -d: -f3-

Because the original breaks if the SQL has a ':' char in it.

> Rasmus
>
> PS: Just noticed that you used warns.txt, which suggests that you used
> the result from an old build. I've changed the format of some of the
> output lines in (smatch_)warns.txt, so you need to build the kernel from
> scratch.

It was an old build.  I don't see where you changed any SQL format...

I've started cherry-picking the earlier patches.

> PPS: When you say "My DB takes an hour to build", is that the
> create_db.sh part, or is it the time for an entire build_kernel_data.sh
> run?

That's just the create_db.sh.  To be honest, I'm not sure how long it
takes...  I just kick it off and come back later.  Every day if you
rebuild the DB, then it gets slightly larger and larger...

regards,
dan carpenter