Powered by Linux
Re: Some minor tweaks — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Some minor tweaks

On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:05:24AM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
>> Hi Dan
>>
>> If and when you have time, can I get you to look at my misc_tweaks
>> branch on github?
>> <https://github.com/Villemoes/smatch/tree/misc_tweaks>. It is
>> work-in-progress, but I'd like to hear if you hate it (or parts thereof)
>> before doing more of the performance improvements.
>

> "At least in my test, the fill_db_sql.pl part of create_db.sh went from
> ~5 minutes to a bit under 3 minutes."
>
> Nice.  My DB takes an hour to build...

Yep, that's what I noticed, so I wanted to see if one could do something
about it. Even 10% or 20% are probably worth it when we're talking this
magnitude. It took me 123 minutes to build the database for an
allmodconfig on an 8-core, 24 GB ram box.

> Looks good.  I will apply all these, test them out and push later.
> I'll take these as-is, but could you use the Signed-off-by tag in
> future patches?

I usually let git format-patch do that before sending out emails, but I
now see that git commit also admits --sign-off. But one can't set it in
a config file :(. Maybe I need to teach my fingers to do git commit
-s. What does everybody else do?

>> Btw, I noticed that for a few source files, smatch takes several
>> minutes to run, even though the average is around 1 second. Do you
>> happen to know why? (In particular, should I look in smatch or sparse
>> code).
>
> It's the Smatch code at fault.  There have always been some files which
> take over a minute to parse but there may be a regression here as well...

[...]
> If you want to add a hard timeout option (we have been checking this
> file for 1 minute, give up) that's fine with me.

That might be useful. I'll think about that.

Rasmus