Powered by Linux
Re: Some minor tweaks — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Some minor tweaks

On Jun 25, 2015, at 5:36 AM, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 25 2015, Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:05:24AM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
>>> Hi Dan
>>>
>>> If and when you have time, can I get you to look at my misc_tweaks
>>> branch on github?
>>> <https://github.com/Villemoes/smatch/tree/misc_tweaks>. It is
>>> work-in-progress, but I'd like to hear if you hate it (or parts thereof)
>>> before doing more of the performance improvements.
>>

>> "At least in my test, the fill_db_sql.pl part of create_db.sh went from
>> ~5 minutes to a bit under 3 minutes."
>>
>> Nice.  My DB takes an hour to build...
>
> Yep, that's what I noticed, so I wanted to see if one could do something
> about it. Even 10% or 20% are probably worth it when we're talking this
> magnitude. It took me 123 minutes to build the database for an
> allmodconfig on an 8-core, 24 GB ram box.

What I found is the more cores you have is the slower it is after a certain
threshold
My 4 core (+4 HT) 32G RAM build box builds kernel several times faster than my
test 120 core 1T RAM box (all using smatch, regular kernel build is faster on
the beefier box).

Bye,
    Oleg