Re: SIP CLF Format

Dale Worley wrote:
I'm getting confused here.  You say that you want to log messages, which
means that requests and responses would be logged separately.  But in
other places you talk about using one log line to represent both the
request and the response.

That is because, given how SIP works, for a proxy we simply do
not have the luxury of using the same line to log a request
and a response.

In other
words, I don't think that it is fruitful to turn the CLF in a
debugging aid.  What do you think?  Other opinions?

Then what is its purpose?

It's purpose is much the same as the Apache CLF format: it is
not used as much to debug as it is used for trend analysis and
anomaly detection.

Consider the particularly ugly example:

Contact: <sip:123@xxxxxxxxxxx>;param=" value1 value2 "
Hmmm ... yes, you are right.  One way would be to use other
symbols in the CLF to delimit %c.  [ and ] come to mind.

All printable ASCII characters can appear in a field-parameter.

Sigh -- yes, true.  Something else needs to be thought about
here.

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)