Re: SIP CLF Format

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 14:55 -0600, Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:
> Ah, good question.  Our intent was that for UAC and UAS, we will
> log *messages*.

I'm getting confused here.  You say that you want to log messages, which
means that requests and responses would be logged separately.  But in
other places you talk about using one log line to represent both the
request and the response.

> Right; but this is true only for the INVITE request; it is this
> request that is allowed to pend in SIP.  The remaining requests
> elicit a quick final response; thus for UAS and UAC, it makes sense
> to use one line for the request and response (and take a bit of a
> hit in form of a delay for the INVITE request.)

Non-INVITE requests are *supposed* to elicit a quick final response, but
there are many circumstances when they don't -- especially transport
errors requiring fallback.

> In other
> words, I don't think that it is fruitful to turn the CLF in a
> debugging aid.  What do you think?  Other opinions?

Then what is its purpose?

> > Consider the particularly ugly example:
> >
> > Contact: <sip:123@xxxxxxxxxxx>;param=" value1 value2 "
>
> Hmmm ... yes, you are right.  One way would be to use other
> symbols in the CLF to delimit %c.  [ and ] come to mind.

All printable ASCII characters can appear in a field-parameter.

> > Given that %x and %y are present in response lines, and those
> > identify the other requests/responses in the transaction, and
> > indirectly the dialog, why is the to-tag (in %t) needed?
>
> Because it may not be the case that the To-tag has been set
> when the provisional response is sent out.  Thus we cannot
> always depend on the To-tag being part of the request CLF
> line if the request CLF line only contains a provisional.

Good point.

Dale